Friday, June 18, 2010

Homeschool Headache

I should know by now when God has something almost ready for me, that I will find myself confused, disorganized, and a bit discouraged. This happens most often because I have grown impatient and forget how to step out in faith. This principle in action:

I have been in discussions with some people (LS) for the past three weeks regarding homeschooling options. There are a few options out there for homeschooling, and most people are aware of them. For those who are not, here is a very basic rundown.

1. Traditional Homeschooling: This is what most people think of when they hear the term. The parent/grandparent (depending on the state in which you live) teaches the student at home with self-purchased self-selected curriculum.
2. Virtual Schooling: In some states, if not all, there are many virtual schools available. They may be public or private and may be "free" or have tuition. The parent is the "learning coach," and the student has an online teacher or evaluator.
3. The Ghost: I call it this because I feel as if I have been chasing one to find out if it really does exist. Supposedly this is a blend of traditional and public. I cannot say exactly what it looks like since I have failed to find answers. To the best of my understanding, you somehow enroll your child in the school district and they give you a voucher to use curriculum. The catch? Your curriculum must be accredited and have some sort of assessment.

We have run the gamut. Our first inclination was to try the Virtual Academy. Having no experience at this, at least it would offer structure and the least offensive public curriculum I have seen. Then, the "Ghost" showed up as an option...or did it? Our thoughts were that we could utilize the same curriculum, break it down and supplement it to find something we liked, and our local schools still get the state funding. Why is this important? They employ our sole income earner, Sir MMH Hubby. And the levy failed... And they have had a pay freeze for one year, probably two with the state of the system right now. Yes, it was purely an attempt to help the schools financially. The problem? It's a Ghost. No one can tell me it is a viable option. In fact, after my last phone call with someone, Dr. S., I hung up the phone and began to cry because I was told I must have misunderstood. (Ever have those moments when you think you are doing what is best for your family and then you feel incompetent? A Mama thing, I'm pretty sure.) So...the point to all of this is, it is time to be still and know that God is God. He knows what we are supposed to do, and I am pretty sure He is speaking in whispers and in answer-less phone calls... I just need to stop doing and start praying. I will let you know how it turns out. To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. If you're feeling discouraged today, go back and re-read your post from Thursday "Why Today is a good Day." Remember, we only get one day at a time. Sometimes today isn't as good as yesterday was, but that doesn't mean tomorrow won't be even better than both!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete